About Paul Caputo

Paul Caputo is a grown man who collects plastic ice cream helmets from baseball stadiums. He is 1-0 as a defendant on the Judge John Hodgman podcast. In addition to serving as the managing editor of BTBNL, he contributes to SportsLogos.net.

13 Thoughts on “Five reasons Major League Baseball should bring back the Montreal Expos

1. Ex-Mtler1642 on April 4, 2013 at 8:25 am said:

Nice piece. Thanks for your support of baseball in Montreal.
    One small clarification, though. You wrote: “The Expos of the 1980s were not just chock-full of great players, they were players who had come up together through the team’s minor league system. Teams that featured players like Andre Dawson, Tim Raines … Al Oliver ” (Sound of screeching brakes.)
    Al Oliver was a star of those great Expos teams, but he came up through the Pirates system in the late ’60s as a first baseman. The Expos picked him up in 1982 from the Rangers.
    Best wishes.

2. Steve on April 4, 2013 at 8:42 am said:

Merci beaucoup! Montreal knew about Loria before the Marlins fiasco unfolded. Montreal deserves a team. With the Canadian dollar stronger, it is more than plausible to bring a team.

3. Jason Magder on April 4, 2013 at 10:07 am said:

That proposed stadium plan is dead. All condo towers on the site originally pegged for a stadium.

4. Bonsooooooooooirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr elle est partieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeee iiiiiissssssssssssss gooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeee!!

5. Excellent points made. I watch or listen to baseball almost every day when there is baseball around, but I miss the french radio broadcasts with their special terms and expressions. You nailed it on the head when you mentionned this. There are still games on RDS (french TSN) but it would be better with the Expos.

6. Gabriel on April 4, 2013 at 8:03 pm said:

Thank you very much for your appreciation of Montreal as a baseball city. Every spring is really painful for Expo fans, trust me. I have an 11-year-old son and I keep telling him stories about the 1994 Expos (I was 23 back then). I wish I could take him to Stade Olympique… I ended up bringing him to a Philadelphia Phillies game last summer instead!

I sincerely hope that writers such as yourself and serious baseball people like Warren Cromartie can open the eyes of MLB executives. However, bringing baseball back to Montreal will be very difficult. Last weekend I watched a Toronto Blue Jays season preview show on Sportsnet and MLB Commissioner Bud Selig said that there were no plans to expand to 32 teams… Could Montreal get its team via a transfer from Tampa Bay? J’aimerais tellement! Merci! Thanks!

7. I’d love to see a team in Montreal again, but I think they’d have to start by putting a AAA club there. Then they could rebuild interest in the game. I think that’s a must, before you try pushing 2 or 3 million fans through the gate there.

Related thought… I’ve been thinkin’ the past few years that maybe Mexico City would be a perfect spot for a team. I’d love to see the A’s move there. The A’s already use green as one of their main colors, and green is a main color on the Mexican flag. Do you realize how easy it would be to lure all the latin talent to a Spanish speaking location? And the entire country of Mexico would want to support their team and see ‘em beat all those northern clubs. So I think even with the Peso being worth a bit less than the US & Canadian dollar, it could work. I really think a team in Mexico City, would have enough support to be profitable.

8. To play in the AL East.

9. bill spina on April 5, 2013 at 7:31 am said:

In the AL East.

10. Pingback: Ten Stray Thoughts On A Friday | Getting Blanked | Blogs | theScore.com

11. Michel on April 10, 2013 at 8:47 am said:

As I did with my father, my sons will do with me. I would love to watch Expos games with my boys.

12. Hugue Loiselle on August 19, 2013 at 3:55 pm said:

Yes. There was great moments in baseball in Montreal. Imagine the new expos playing in the AL East.

Natural rivalry with Toronto.
    Historical rivalry with Boston (Habs VS Bruins in hockey)
    The love/hate relation with the Yankees being very popular.

Imagine the attraction.
    Get the marlins in Montreal but not the Lorias!!!